Popular Online Resources
Use this page to simplify your search for information sources on crime victim-related assistance, learning opportunities, advice in victim services, and crime victims’ rights.
||HELP for Victim Service Providers Web Forum—Visit this message board to share ideas, suggestions, and recommendations concerning promising and best practices and victim issues. Users can sign up for e-mail notifications about new discussions and topics.
||National Calendar of Crime Victim Assistance-Related Events—Find crime victim-related events, such as conferences, trainings, ceremonies, or use the OVC Calendar to promote your event nationwide. Users can sign up for e-mail notifications of local events.
||Online Directory of Crime Victim Services—Locate nonemergency crime victim service agencies provided by not-for-profit programs and public agencies. Visit now and add your organization to the Directory or sign up to receive alerts when new programs are added.
Directory of Training and Technical Assistance Resources for Anti-Human Trafficking Task Forces and Service Providers—Enhance your knowledge of anti-human trafficking practices with distance learning, in-person training, and training by request opportunities. This directory includes location and contact information.
||The Training Catalog—Stay abreast of current issues in the victim services field with trainings and conferences from the OVC TTAC Training Center. User can access online and downloadable trainings.
||VictimLaw—Search for crime victims’ rights in your area. The database includes statutes, Tribal laws, state constitutional amendments, court rules, administrative code provisions, and related court decisions.
Tools for Outreach & Screening
Resources and information about and for victim service providers produced with support from the Office for Victims of Crime:
- Consumer Rights Screening Tool for Domestic Violence Advocates and Lawyers (PDF 1.5 mb)—This screening tool provides an overview of consumer issues survivors of domestic violence face and discusses how to identify these issues in the course of one’s client work.
- Cyberbullying Resources for Victim Service Providers—Podcasts, fact sheets, and training to help victim service providers respond to cyberbullying. The resources are offered by the National Crime Prevention Council, through funding from OVC.
- Restitution Collection Toolkit—Existing sample forms, policies, protocols, and practices from the field to aid in the collection of crime victim restitution at the state and local levels. This online toolkit was developed by the National Center for Victims of Crime with funding from OVC.
Tools for Research & Statistics
Use these online tools, made available by the Office of Justice Programs and its component offices, to help guide you in your research into crime victimization and crime solutions.
- CrimeSolutions.gov—Learn about evidence-based programs covering a range of justice-related topics, including victim assistance programs; corrections; courts; crime prevention; substance abuse; juveniles; law enforcement; and technology and forensics. The searchable online database is a tool to understand, access and integrate scientific evidence about programs into programmatic and policy decisions.
- NCVS API—Use this web service from the Bureau of Justice Statistics to feed your website or mobile application with criminal victimization data from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) data sets. The API is a dynamic feed that allows developers and researchers to retrieve information efficiently and in the manner that best suits their needs.
Portals & Web Sites
- Human Trafficking—offers resources and services available to help trafficking victims and the people who assist them—victim service providers, law enforcement, allied professionals, and survivors. Includes an interactive map of OVC-funded human trafficking victim services and task forces.
- National Crime Victims’ Rights Week (NCVRW)—Find up-to-date information about this annual observance, including information about the current NCVRW Resource Guide, the National Crime Victims’ Service Awards, event details, and how to stay informed about NCVRW activities.
- OVC’s Gallery—Browse OVC’s collection of multimedia products, including promotional web banners, event photos, posters, and photos and biographies of award recipients and NCVRW events.
- SART Toolkit: Resources for Sexual Assault Response Teams—Find tools specific to developing or expanding a SART response in your community. The web-based toolkit lays out the steps for putting together SARTs, highlights programs around the country, and includes sample resources.
- The Victim Oral History Project—Learn about the victims’ rights movement through more than 55 interviews, photographs, video, audio, and other documents of significance to the victim assistance field. The entire collection is housed "on-site" at the University of Akron’s library. An online version is also available to the public with a smaller resolution video playback screen.
- Visit OVC’s Reference and Directories page in the Library & Multimedia section of OVC.gov for quick lists of directories, searchable databases, often-used informational documents, statistical sources, and other resources for the crime victim services field.
- Helplines. List of crisis hotlines and national victim-serving organizations.