Federal Advisory Committee: National Coordination Committee on the AI/AN Sane-Sart Initiative (Committee)
The Office for Victims of Crime established and chartered the National Coordination Committee in 2011 with support from U.S. Attorney General Holder. The Committee is chaired by Sarah Deer, Muscogee (Creek) Nation, and comprised of representatives from six national tribal organizations and five federal agencies, and experts in Alaska Native issues and medical forensic exams. The Committee was tasked with developing recommendations for Attorney General Holder on improving the federal government’s response to adult and child victims of sexual violence in tribal nations.
The first Committee meeting was held on December 4-5, 2012, in conjunction with the 13th National Indian Nations Conference on the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians Reservation. To ensure that voices from the field informed the Committee’s work, presentations about the challenges of coordinating victim-centered, culturally relevant responses to Native adult and child victims of sexual violence were provided by the AI/AN SANE-SART Initiative’s three federal working groups and three tribal demonstration sites.
Five additional full-Committee meetings were held throughout 2013 and 2014, as well as three subcommittee meetings in Spring 2013, and a 2-day report-writing meeting in February 2014. These meetings culminated in the development of the Committee’s Report to the U.S. Attorney General on Improving Federal Agency Response to Sexual Violence in Tribal Nations: Issues and Recommendations. On December 9, in conjunction with the 14th National Indian Nations Conference, the Committee will hold its seventh meeting.
Committee member biographies, the Committee’s Report to the U.S. Attorney General, and meeting summaries can be viewed and downloaded below.
National Coordination Committee Member Biographies (PDF 208 kb)
National Coordination Committee on the AI/AN SANE-SART Initiative Report to the U.S. Attorney General on Improving Federal Agency Response to Sexual Violence in Tribal Nations: Issues and Recommendations (PDF 897 kb)
Brochure Summarizing the National Coordination Committee’s Report to the U.S. Attorney General (PDF 575 kb)
Meeting Summaries and Resources
- National Coordination Committee December 4-5, 2012 Meeting Summary (PDF 648 kb)
- December 4-5, 2012 PPT Slides (PPT 1.21 mb)
- December 4-5, 2012 Main Issue Paper: Collaboration (PDF 183 kb)
- December 4-5, 2012 Sub-Issue Paper #1: Written Sexual Violence Response Protocols (PDF 161 kb)
- December 4-5, 2012 Sub-Issue Paper #2: Commitment to Culturally Relevant Sexual Violence Responses (PDF 168 kb)
- December 4-5, 2012 Sub-Issue Paper #3: Prioritization of Sexual Violence Resources (PDF 113 kb)
- April 17, 2013 Meeting Summary (PDF 462 kb)
- November 19, 2013 Meeting Summary (PDF 368 kb)
- March 25, 2014 Meeting Summary (PDF 137 kb)
- May 19, 2014 Meeting Summary (PDF 127 kb)
- September 12, 2014 Meeting Summary (PDF 452 kb)
- December 9, 2014 Meeting Summary (PDF 524 kb)
- October 13, 2015 Meeting Summary (PDF 317 kb)