skip navigation

Who Is Eligible?

ITVERP is authorized to reimburse eligible victims of acts of international terrorism that occur outside the United States for expenses incurred as a direct result of their victimization.
Eligible persons include:

  • U.S. citizens.
  • U.S. employees.
  • U.S. contractors of the federal government, including foreign nationals.
  • The victim must have been a U.S. citizen or foreign national working for the U.S. government at the time of the terrorist incident in order to be eligible.

When a victim is deceased, a minor, or is incompetent or incapacitated, a family member (spouse, parent, child, sibling, or other person, at the discretion of the OVC Director) or legal guardian may apply for and receive reimbursement on behalf of the victim. A victim, family member, or legal guardian who applies for ITVERP reimbursement is referred to as a claimant.

Terrorist Incident Designation

Terrorist Incident Designation ListThe National Security Division (NSD) of the U.S. Department of Justice is charged with determining whether an incident is considered a terrorist attack, specifically for purposes of the ITVERP. This means that NSD must determine whether to designate the applicant’s reported incident as a terrorist incident and the applicant has received a previous designation for the same incident. ITVERP case managers routinely submit incidents to NSD for designation.

NOTE: If the applicant’s reported terrorist incident is not on the Terrorist Incident Designation list, ITVERP staff will submit a request for designation to NSD.

Claimant Verification

An ITVERP applicant must be verified as an eligible claimant. Often, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will provide verification directly to ITVERP that authenticates a victim’s status for a specific incident. If the claimant is not the direct victim, but rather a spouse or family member, the process of verification also includes confirmation of the relationship between the victim and the claimant.




(PDF 290 kb)

Resource Guide for Serving U.S. Citizens Victimized Abroad
Travel.State.Gov, A Service of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State Your Path to Government Benefits