News & Features
OVC News & Program Updates
First released in April 2011, OVC News & Program Updates is a valuable tool for sharing information about OVC initiatives, events, and other items of special interest. It incorporates articles and information from grantees, service professionals, and others who share the mission of promoting justice and healing for victims. Share the newsletter with your colleagues and join OVC in an ongoing, lively, informative discussion about victim services. Send suggestions for future issues to OVC Communication Specialist, Emily Bauernfeind.
To receive OVC News & Program Updates, subscribe to receive News From OVC. Subscribers will receive email updates on new publications, funding opportunities, and other announcements.
OVC News & Program Updates (December 2015) (PDF 1.14 mb)
This issue focuses on children and youth, a vulnerable population that should be safeguarded. Articles include—
- A moving piece authored by a survivor who, as a young child, witnessed the murder of his mother and brother
- Linking systems of care for children and youth to proactively identify victims and ensure they set on a path to healing
- Getting to the root of the problem with violence interrupter programs for boys and young men of color
- Laws that prohibit female genital mutilation and cutting and how to report suspected incidents
- The FY15 increase in the Crime Victims Fund allotment and its impact on crime victim services
OVC News & Program Updates (June 2015) (PDF 1.15 mb)
This issue focuses on building capacity through innovation, providing comprehensive legal assistance, and addressing continuing and emerging challenges facing victims and service providers funded through grant projects funded through OVC’s Vision 21 Initiative. Articles include—
- how DNA evidence exonerated two men and the impact on one victim’s family;
- reaching victims in remote and challenging areas through the national sexual assault telenursing center;
- an evidence-based strategy to enhance law enforcement response to victims;
- how OVC is working to improve federal agency response to sexual violence in tribal nations;
- the importance of the national survey of victim service organizations.
OVC News & Program Updates (September 2014) (PDF 896 kb)
This issue focuses on programs and resources that help combat sex and labor trafficking and provide critical services to victims in your community. This edition features—
- An interview with Assistant Attorney General (AAG) for the Office of Justice Programs (OJP) Karol V. Mason.
- One victim’s firsthand account of surviving and thriving after human trafficking.
- The White House’s plan to prevent and respond to human trafficking in our country.
- Online resources available through OVC for victim service professionals serving human trafficking victims.
- How victim-related data tools are improving victim services.
OVC News & Program Updates (April 2014) (PDF 262 kb)
This issue focuses on programs and resources that highlight the recommendations put forth in the Vision 21: Transforming Victim Services Final Report, and introduces OVC’s two new deputy directors, Marilyn Roberts and Kristina “Kris” Rose. Articles in this edition discuss—
- How a Crisis Call Center is incorporating text messaging into its response to crises.
- A firsthand account of one woman’s encounter with elder abuse and her advice for detecting abuse.
- Information on addressing vicarious trauma for victim service professionals.
- An update on the forward progress of victims’ rights in the military.
- Research partnerships and lessons learned from the California Crime Victims Assistance Association.
OVC News & Program Updates (November 2013) (PDF 793 kb)
This issue focuses on the emerging challenge of ensuring that international victims of crime are afforded their rights and receive appropriate services. Articles in this edition discuss—
- Recent progress in global victims’ rights laws.
- OVC’s international terrorism and mass violence programs.
- A victim’s precedent-setting effort to seek justice in a foreign land.
- Working with Kosovo to help establish victims’ services.
- The results of an OVC-sponsored international forum on sexual assault.
OVC News & Program Updates (June 2013) (PDF 3 mb)
This issue focuses on collaboration, sustainability, and bridging the gap between researchers and practitioners. Articles in this edition discuss—
- OVC’s release of the Vision 21: Transforming Victim Services Final Report.
- Web-based innovations that help victims of identity theft.
- A co-victim’s tragic account of the shooting at the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
- A practitioner’s guide to research partnerships.
- Ways to leverage existing resources to expand training for sexual assault response teams and nurse examiners.
- How to engage an organization’s board of directors.
OVC News & Program Updates (November 2012) (PDF 525 kb)
This issue focuses on closing gaps in victim services and includes profiles that underscore how a victim’s steps toward recovery may take unexpected turns, with inspiring results. Articles in this edition highlight—
- Healing Through Art workshops for individuals and families recovering from the traumatic physical, financial, emotional, and spiritual effects of crime.
- The final rule to prevent, detect, and respond to sexual abuse in confinement facilities in accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003.
- An empowering interview with Julia Dunkins who, after suffering the loss of both her husband and son to homicide, became a committed activist and advocate for other survivors.
- Help for young victims healing from trauma and violence.
- Advances made in the victims field through statistics, research, and evaluation.
- Resources available for family members of homicide victims.
- OVC’s tribute to the legacy of Irina Romashkan.
OVC News & Program Updates (June 2012) (PDF 627 kb)
This edition details responses to underserved victims of crime. Articles in this issue highlight
- Improved responses for male crime victims.
- Getting to know Mary Lou Leary, Acting Assistant Attorney General.
- An empowering account of a hate crime from an advocate for the Native LGBT/Two-Spirit community.
- Training available for building military-civilian community partnerships to better serve military sexual assault victims.
- Americans living overseas who experience domestic violence.
- Facts about sexual assault in the military and efforts to combat it.
OVC News & Program Updates (February 2012) (PDF 813 kb)
This edition offers a wealth of information about elder abuse and exploitation, complex crimes that can be extremely difficult to recognize and resolve. Articles in this issue highlight—
- Elder financial exploitation and identity theft, with a personal account from entertainer Mickey Rooney;
- Resources addressing victims of late-life domestic violence and elder abuse;
- The National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life;
- Practical uses of research for working with older victims;
- Crimesolutions.gov, a credible resource for informing practitioners and policymakers about what works in justice-related programs and practices, including crime victim services;
- Elder victimization facts available from the recently released 2012 National Crime Victims’ Rights Week Resource Guide.
OVC News & Program Updates (November 2011) (PDF 687 kb)
This edition offers information about one of our most vulnerable victim populations: America’s children. Articles in this issue highlight—
- The impact of child identity theft.
- OVC’s partnership with a school in Indian Country to address victimization among students.
- A community-based approach to providing services to drug endangered children.
- Research conducted on children’s exposure to violence.
- The goals of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Defending Childhood initiative.
- Human trafficking and the commercial sexual exploitation of children.
OVC News & Program Updates (September 2011) (PDF 513 kb)
This issue addresses responding to victims of sexual violence and highlights—
- The Sixth National Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) Training Conference.
- The Angel Band Project, a band formed to promote hope and healing through music for those affected by sexual violence.
- Visiting fellows supporting OVC in its mission.
- The presentation of the Menominee Tribal Seal to OVC Principal Deputy Director Joye Frost.
- New Americans with Disabilities Act rules in effect.
OVC News & Program Updates (July 2011) (PDF 840 kb)
This issue highlights—
- Assistance provided by OVC to the community of Binghamton, New York.
- A grant awarded to Pima County, Arizona, to help victims of a mass shooting in 2011.
- FBI Victim Specialists’ response to mass casualties.
- International terrorism and financial resources available for victims.
- The 2011 National Crime Victims’ Service Award recipients.
- Funding awarded to remember 9/11 survivors and the families of victims.
OVC News & Program Updates (April 2011) (PDF 1.9 mb)
This issue highlights—
- Victims’ voices.
- Outreach to underserved victims.
- National Crime Victims’ Rights Week.
- The Vision 21: Transforming Victim Services Initiative.
- The Tribal Victim Assistance in Alaska Fellowship.
- The 12th National Indian Nations Conference.